Friday, September 16, 2005

Long Way Home

It's strange being home.

It seems that everything is different.

I asked the bus driver the other day to let me off the bus somewhere near my house and he replied "you'll bleedin well get off at the bus stop like everyone else you stupid bugger", which was quite a shock.

Then there was the time went into my local newsagents and paid for a 60 pence Guardian with a £20 note, expecting the woman behind the till to say;

"you must be joking mate! Haven’t you got anything smaller? I'm afraid we cant take it otherwise"

and then me nearly fainting when she then gave me £19.40 change and a;

"have a nice day"

Even down to the food in the supermarkets (which is better quality, but more expensive) everything is different. The people are different. The cars people drive are different. The food people eat is different. The clubs are different. The music is different. EVERYTHING is different. I was reading an article the other day where people who had been away for a year discussed being miserable, solely because they were back home again.

Its a travelling thing i guess.

Last week was the lowest i have been so far. I really did feel miserable. I had no job. My best mate had just started his new job so i couldn’t really see him much. I was missing the mrs who was on the other side of the planet. I was happy to be home and to see my family and friends, but i was not happy what-so-ever to be back in England. A very strange feeling.

I miss South America

No comments: